New gender neutral baby quilt

11:26

As you know if you've read my other posts, I set myself the challenge for 2014 that it would be my "home-made year". I realise there are many things I haven't yet shared with you, so watch out for another post dedicated to other home-made gifts, but as this one took the majority of my time to complete, here's my gender neutral baby quilt!

I am delighted to announce the safe arrival of my gorgeous nephew back in October. My sister chose not to find out the gender of her baby, which meant I could go all out on choosing great, gender-neutral and vibrant colours for this quilt. Please go to the brilliant, fantastic and inspiring Cluck Cluck Sew blog for the pattern for this hourglass quilt - and have a look at the other amazing patterns writer Allison Harris has on offer on her blog and in her shop.

The majority of the material I used for this quilt were from Eclectic Maker. Here's a list: 

Moda Bella Solids in Yellow (for the back of the quilt)

Squares:

Ed Emberley Picture Pie Scribbles in Orange
Michael Miller Fabric Petal Pinwheels Pegs a Plenty in Multi
Moda Bella Solids in Bleached White (for all the white ones)
Moda Bella Solids in Silver
Moda Bella Solids in Turquoise
Moda Essential Dots in Spring GreenModa Bella Solids in GeraniumKlona Cotton Solids in Old Green

The bunny material was bought through
Spoonflower, and is designed by Smuck. (THANK YOU!)
tend to picture the tones for quilts in my head, rather than sketch them out, but before I start stitching any of the squares together, I lay them out on a big tablecloth on the floor. I then spend a good 15 - 20 minutes faffing about with which patterns/colours should go next to each other.
Once all the squares are laid out, I walk away, grab a cup of tea, and then come back to it to see if there's anything else I want to change before I start stitching the rows together.
Now comes the fun bit, quilting! After this quilt, I decided my pins just weren't good enough and went out and bought some longer, thinner ones. Keep an eye out for them in my next craft post!

I then tidy up all the outside edges with my quilter's rotary cutter, before applying the binding to the edges. I went for a simple white bias binding, but if I'd had more time, I'd have liked to have used the Geranium Red fabric and just made my own.

And here's the finished article:
Ta- da!

I hope you enjoyed this post, and do leave me a comment if you have any questions.

Laura x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Pinterest

Subscribe