Wedding make-up that's fool (and migraine!) proof

21:20

Every bride-to-be worries about something going wrong on their big day - will my hair be ok? Will the flowers arrive? Will I mess up my vows? For me, my biggest fear was will I get a migraine?

Sadly, the answer to this was Yes.

And so I planned for the worst and made sure my make-up was fool and migraine proof.

Now I know it's pretty common for brides to opt for a professional make-up artist for the day, so that the stress of getting ready is taken out of their hands. But I opted to do it myself because I wanted to feel in control, and that if the dreaded migraine came to town, I'd have the products and the knowledge to fix it.

My migraines can cause me to black out too, so I had to ensure that not only was everything waterproof, but that it was long lasting and resistant to smudging.

I am not a make-up artist. I am not a stylist and by no means do I have flawless skin. I am just a regular twenty-something woman who wanted to save on the expense of paying a professional, while making my make-up drawer more efficient. And most importantly, I wanted to improve my skills for every time I wear make-up, whether that's for going to work, or going to a wedding.

So after spending a good six months researching and trialing different products for the day, this is what made up my fool-proof kit:

Base
Body Shop Skim Primer - Matt
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion
Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Foundation in Intensity 2.0
Estee Lauder Double Wear Concealer in 02 (Light Medium)
Bare Minerals Mineral Foundation in Fairly Light N10

Cheeks
Rimmel Natural Bronzer in 021 Sunlight
Benefit 10 highlighter/bronzer
Barbara Daly Glow-up highlighter
Clinique Quick blush in 06 Berry on Time

Eyes
Body Shop  Brow & Liner Kit in 01
Body Shop Brow & Lash Gel
Blush Professionals 88 Colour Hot Earth Eyeshadow Palette
Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner in 01 Black
Maybelline Falsies Volume Express Waterproof Mascara in Black

Lips
Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liner in 063 Eastend snob (how funny!)
Chanel Lipshine in 54 Boy
Clinique SPF15 gloss in 10 Air Kiss - this was a tester I received free with other products, that's why it's so small!


This is my Blush Professional 88 Colour Eye Palette, which I bought from amazon - excuse the smudge marks, as you can see I use it almost every day!

I used a combination of 4 colours. 1 for the lids, 2 for crease, 3 for the outer eye and then a bit of black for the outer corner.

And here's the look:


As you can see, the look was very natural and soft, which went with the overall feel of the day and my dress, which was a light and floaty chiffon. At this point, I felt the strange aura that you get when you feel a headache coming on. I was drinking plenty of water, and then my prescribed drugs but unfortunately, it didn't kick it back.

So I ended up having to have a little sleep, and my husband and I went home for a quick afternoon siesta while I tried to sleep my migraine off. This lead to A LOT of crying! I was so upset, with my stupid migraine and with myself, thinking I was ruining things for my husband and all our friends and family.

But after 3 hours, I started to feel much better... and before heading off to the evening reception I set about fixing my make-up. This consisted of topping up my blusher and re-applying my lipstick. AND THAT'S IT! I can not believe that despite the tears, my foundation and all my eye make-up hadn't budged AT ALL.

This is me after the touch-up:

Even migraine couldn't stop me smiling. Wedding photography by Briscoe Photography - he is incredible!
I decided to write this blog for two reasons. One, because I struggled to find recommendations for my combination of dark blonde hair and dark green eyes, and made a pact with myself that if I found something that worked, I'd share it for all those other blondes struggling to find a wedding look that isn't for totally pale complexions! And two, because I want other bride-to-be's out there to know that if you're prepared, you'll be in control whatever you face on the day, migraine or hangover. But I hope you have neither!

Did you have a wedding day disaster? How did you cope? What are you doing for your wedding make-up? Would you like a step-by-step for this look? Tell me in the comments below!

Laura x

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Pinterest

Subscribe